Monday, July 11, 2016

Thing 8: Google Photos

I decided to do all this Google Photos work through my Adventures in Learning account.  We take a lot of pictures, and it seemed like a no brainer to me to do this work though that instead.  Once we're up and running for the school year, I can see myself also using it for the classroom.  So far, I'm pretty happy.  Here's why:

  1. I can take the photos on my phone (the AIL one that I have with me 90% of the day at school), and they'll automatically update into Google Photos, and Google Photos will automatically put them into a folder for me on my Drive!  This allows for such awesome ease of access and allows me so much more flexibility whether I'm posting to Twitter (follow us @adventures36) or sending out our weekly update emails to parents.  Great stuff!
  2. I'm super excited about the movie feature.  Sometimes it's really hard to pick what picture to use, and I don't want any class to feel like I forgot about them.  The movie feature is so amazing because I can choose all the pictures and it will give them each equal screen time!  I could see using this with parents to give a quick glance into what we're doing in our classroom. I can't wait to play with it more on the iPad.
  3. I'll just keep rolling about the movie feature for a minute...  I could see this being a really cool way for the kids to show their learning throughout a project.  Almost like a "time lapse" movie, they'd be able to show other learners and themselves the growth they made from day one to the finale of a project.
I do have one question, and I'd love an answer if anyone knows...  How do I get my photos that are in folders on my drive into Google Photos?  I tried dragging and dropping, and I tried moving them, but neither option worked (or I couldn't make it work).  Any ideas?

2 comments:

  1. Megan - I agree with your '3' things you like about Google Photos. First, to have your photos automatically update from you phone is pretty awesome, instead of having to choose which ones to download/transfer. Second, the movie feature is great. I started playing with it a little bit, and to be able to just choose the photos you want and then have Google do its thing in setting it up makes it easy (and almost effortless) to use. Finally, teaching our students how to use the movie feature for projects is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Were you trying to drag and drop from your laptop or phone? they should just drag, not sure why that wouldn't work. You could try opening two side by side windows and dragging that way. Send a help@winnetka36.org email and see if one of the tech team can take a look.

    ReplyDelete