Thursday, July 14, 2016

Thing 14: iTunes U

For me:

  • Fiction for Young Adults course: I could see this being a really awesome way for colleagues to come together around YA literature.  I like the idea of a course that would help us talk about great books (old and new) and give us a common language from which to proceed.  I didn't dig too deeply, but the idea is intriguing.  It got me wondering if iTunes U courses could count for WU credit?
  • We Are Poets: Fourth Grade: Poetry: I could see myself using this in the classroom.  I've been dreaming up a poetry unit to use with kids for awhile, and I liked some of the activities in this course.  I really appreciated that the majority of the materials were accessible in the course and not materials that I would have to purchase.  I also appreciated many of the links that were included.
For a colleague:
  • Consumer Mathematics: The course materials (at a glance) looked really fun and appropriate for kids in sixth grade.  The course gets kids thinking about real life math: purchasing a home, paying utilities, getting a job...  I think this could be a really fun course for a math teacher at my grade level.
With kids:
  • I'm not sure I'd be comfortable using the actual iTunes U with kids, but I would love to do our own live version of iTunes U.  I'd love to have the kids create and teach their own courses.  We've done similar things with them in the past where they've taught a quick lesson, but it would be really fun to have them do a whole course!

2 comments:

  1. I could definitely see iTunes U courses counting as WU credit. Find one and submit it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm blown away with iTunesU. It's so cool! I can't believe that all the classes are free! One of the cool things about iTunes U is that you can pick and choose materials and use them to your advantage. The possibilities are endless.

    ReplyDelete