Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Things 23 + 24: Creative Commons and OER

I scored 9/10 on the CC quiz!  Copyright is something I continually worry about as an educator.  I love the CC site and what it offers.  I can see it really changing the way I teach the kids especially when it comes to making presentations.  I know at sixth grade they are not creating presentations that will be shared with the world, but I really love the confidence this site gives me to help prepare the kids for the world they will become a part of in the future.  They'll need to practice these skills, and CC is the perfect site to help me know how to help them do just that!  I'm really happy we got to see this site!

OER was also really fun to explore.  I found etana.org for myself.  I loved the site because it provides some primary source translations from the ancient world.  I'm really excited to explore the site more thoroughly.  I feel like primary sources are hard to come by in the ancient civilizations we teach, and the translations of some texts will be really interesting to share with students.

I found Readers to the Rescue for you elementary teachers!  I had such a fun time with the "game". Basically, you drag and drop fairy tale characters into a Mad-Lib story.  Then the game animates it for you and reads it out loud.  It was very entertaining.  I could see using it as a hook to a fairytale unit or just as a fun game to play during choice time.  Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I think in 6th grade, your kids definitely COULD be creating presentations that are shared with the world (unless there are some privacy concerns). You make a great point about audience and authenticity here that I will keep in mind as this year unfolds.

    ReplyDelete