Friday, August 12, 2016

Thing 32: Atomic Learning

I'm not sure what to think of Atomic Learning.  It's my first time using it, so it's completely new to me, and I realize that sometimes I'm hard on new things, but...

I liked the instant feedback from the assessment.  And I liked that I could immediately go and find lessons that could help me overcome some of my challenges that were illuminated in the assessment results.

I found my way to a very interesting tutorial series: Literacy: Reimagined by Angela Maiers.  After reading the introduction and watching the overview video, I was hooked.  But all the rest of the tutorial is locked.  I couldn't figure out a way around this (I logged out and logged back in a couple times), so I'm guessing I won't get to dig deeper into this tutorial series, but I'd like to...

I typed in "Social Studies" for my third task.  I found a fun "Egypt A-Z" tutorial, and I was able to access all the videos to see how to make an A-Z Egypt book using Kid Pix.  The other resource I found that I loved was "Building a Blog".  The example has the kids take on the persona of someone in Maria Antoinette's court, but it could easily be changed for any number of time periods/people.

I could see using the tutorials with kids.  There is no way to know everything when it comes to technology, and it's hard to get time with the school technology people every time you need to teach a new tool.  Do the kids have access to Atomic Learning as well?  If so, these would make for some great "flipped classroom" experiences...

I can see myself going back to this site in the future.  If something like that "Literacy: Reimagined" tutorial series were to come unlocked, I'd love to submit it for WU credit.  It sounds like an important lesson!

2 comments:

  1. After seeing the Discovery Ed teaching clips and the Atomic learning tech tutorials, I am brainstorming how to use short clips like these to teach or remind students about a learning strategy or an iPad application/use. Perhaps over a year or two students could compile a bunch of clips to use for future classrooms?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Make sure you are logged in with your own username and password for Literacy: Reimagined.

    ReplyDelete