Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Thing 29: K12 Online Conference

This made me so happy!!!  I found two really amazing presentations in the 2015 drop down menu for "Stories of Connection":

Worst Preso Ever was a very fun presentation about how to teach kids about common slideshow mistakes.  I love that it's done humorously!  I will for sure be using the lesson with my kids to help them embrace the idea of the "rules" of slideshows.  I think the fun approach will help kids retain the information and help them see that it's about practice, not perfection.  At the end of the presentation, the author also offered two "extras" that seem fun:
  • Pechaflikr: This reminds me of an old teacher who used to have us pick a random topic from a fishbowl each week and stand up in front of the class to talk about it.  It was on the spot and very exciting.  I'd love to try it!
  • Iron Chef Lesson Planning: This was such a fun idea.  Give the kids a topic, tell them they each have one slide of the presentation and ten minutes to get it ready.  Watch them work, collaborate and teach.  I'll definitely try this one too!
Connecting Creativity is a website that offers "quests" to students.  The presenters walked through four different quests they've issued so far.  Each quest challenges students to creatively connect different aspects of their learning.  My favorite quest idea was for "found poetry".  I love the idea of using it with current events!  I think kids would really be able to dive deeply into each of the topics, and I can't wait to see what creative products they produce.

I am excited by the topics that are coming up in this year's conference, and I will probably "attend". The great thing, however, is that the content will be there whether I'm able to attend during that timeframe or not!  This is a brilliant concept and a great way to get PD!

1 comment:

  1. Worst Preso Ever sounds like a great video to use a reminder about presentation etiquette, thanks for the helpful resource.

    ReplyDelete