Saturday, June 18, 2016

Thoughts About Web 2.0

At every discussion about technology that I've been a part of in my teaching career for as long as I can remember, I've heard the same quote (with some variation): "We're preparing kids for jobs that don't yet exist, for tasks we can't yet imagine." Sometimes this is said with excitement: Imagine the possibility! At one point, walking on the moon was unheard of, and look at us now!  Other times it's grumbled in frustration: Add that to my growing list of musts.  Now I've got to imagine the future!  Ugh!

I've never really known what to think about it myself.  And I'm not sure I'm any closer to realizing my own thoughts right now, but I can see both sides...

I'm excited!  My husband always talks about how when he was a kid he was convinced that by the time he was an adult there'd be flying cars.  Are there flying cars yet?  Not really.  But his excitement at the thought of it still exists.  He's followed the progress of the technology his whole life, and he can tell you exactly how close we are.

This kind of learning and engagement is priceless, and I see the power of it for our kids.  I love the idea that we just don't know "yet".  It fits with everything I believe about mindset and the way I like to live my life and teach my classes.  We're in this great area where things just haven't happened yet, but they can and they will, and we can be an integral part of it all happening.  Do I need to know the exact titles of the jobs my students will have 10, 20 or 30 years from now in order to teach them well?  I don't think so!  It comes down to teaching them how to think, how to create and how to have the confidence to collaborate with others.

Though I can see the possibility, I must admit that I'm also frustrated.  There are so many things!  So many directives from so many people.  So much curriculum and so little time.  I'd be lying if I didn't say that sometimes the technology piece of it feels like "one more thing".

Because I didn't grow up in a world of "Information Overload", I'm tempted to look at it as just that: overload.  It worries me that the world is getting "flatter and faster".  How will we keep up?  I guess my real question, my real fear, is how will my teaching keep up?

I'm hoping throughout the course of this class I learn how to incorporate the Web 2.0 into my teaching so that my frustration is a thing of the past.  Awesome!  Now I "have the end in mind"!  Let's learn!

4 comments:

  1. Flying car prototype video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Yn2uyQJ1jc

    "It comes down to teaching them how to think, how to create and how to have the confidence to collaborate with others."

    That's exactly right. We can't teach them everything they need to know for what their future holds, but we can teach them to be skillful in navigating the world around them and looking for answers to whatever problem might be in front of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also feel overwhelmed with the information overload, you're right "there are so many things!" I'm hopeful that exploring the things in this course will help us find "things" that fit with our teaching philosophies, and help our kids in their future jobs - whatever they may be! Who knows, maybe one of them will invent an impressive flying car one day :)

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog post! I am with you in feeling overwhelmed at times in how to incorporate all this new technology into our already packed curriculum. I need to keep an open mindset like you said to embrace the technology that we can learn as teachers and share with our students. The advances in technology are not going to slow down for us, so we might as well join our students as 21st century learners!! WE CAN DO IT!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that adding technology can be very overwhelming and does often seem like "one more thing" to do. I think technology can often be scary, especially to progressive educators. We need to find a balance and make sure that we are using technology for a purpose and not just because it is a neat new tool.

    ReplyDelete